When your elderly loved one needs a job done, don’t look in the newspaper or on-line. There are some rogues out there who don’t have a conscience. Whenever I am supporting someone to arrange for a tradesman to attend to something in their home or garden, I always check the directory offered by Trading Standards departments called “Buying with Confidence”. Every trader and business listed in this guide has been vetted by Trading Standards officers to ensure that they:
- Are committed to fair-trading and to providing a quality service for their customers.
- Can produce Criminal Records Bureau checks for staff who want to work in people’s homes.
- Make sure their staff are competent for the work they carry out.
- Deal with customers promptly, efficiently and courteously.
- Undertake to comply with the spirit of the letter of the law and not restrict customers’ rights.
- Have a sound customer complaints procedure.
Ar Relative Matters we have a Book of Recommendations where I log people/firms who have been recommended to me.
While these measures can’t guarantee a good job by an honest and reliable tradesperson, the chances of a good job being done at a fair price are greatly increased.