Care and housing

As we are living longer the cost of care is something we are likely to be faced with but may not consider until it becomes unexpectedly urgent.

Choosing the right care option to suit your needs is essential. The Local Authority can assess a care and support need and both the NHS and Local Authority have services that may help you stay at home independently. Some of these services are FREE.

Care at Home

Care at home, includes not just live in care but meal provision, adaptations to the home and innovations such as stair lifts, sensors, community alarms, assistive technology and other specialist aids.

Information and advice, advocacy and community support can all help provide independence in the home and a better quality of life. Many of us carry on in stoic silence until a care need becomes a crisis. Please ask for help, it may support you stay at home and prevent a carer from becoming exhausted to enable them to continue in their caring role.

Have you thought about asking for?

  • A hot meal delivery, help with the laundry
  • A pendant alarm or medication reminder
  • Aids and adaptations to your home (some are FREE)
  • Some help with the garden, cleaning, or personal care
  • Information on local groups/clubs

Most people would like to stay at home. The Local Authority and NHS have services that support independent living including up to 6 weeks FREE reablement care services and help for an informal carer.

Extra care/assisted care/ supported living/care villages

This may provide Independent living with flexible care services. Schemes vary and may be privately rented, shared ownership, owned properties or have a social landlord. There may be a retirement village, shared living scheme in your area which can include living with support in a family home. Check the t and c’s and whether once moved a changing care need affects your stay in a new home.

Residential Care Homes

If you need more help with day to day care, these homes have care assistants but do not usually provide Health/Nursing care.

Nursing Homes

If your needs include a medical element, then nursing homes have registered nurses and often a higher staff/resident ratio which may be a more suitable option for long term health or uncertain/unpredictable care needs.

Specialist Care – Elderly Mentally Infirm (EMI) is an outdated but still used term for more specialist care provision, often these homes have a secure environment, sometimes with specialist care and a dedicated wing/floor for a specific type of care which may be necessary for some residents living with Dementia or other complex behavioural needs.

Consider the points on the ‘Choosing a Care Home’ information sheet if you are thinking about moving into a care or nursing home permanently.

  • Will I be funding this care?
  • Should I contact the Local Authority for a care needs assessment, to find out what type of care is the most appropriate for my needs?
  • Do I need someone to represent me legally? An Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney, Court of Protection Deputy
  • You may want to consider specialist financial care advice?
  • Consider making or updating a will or legal advice to make others aware of your wishes
  • Have your circumstances or needs changed?
  • Check benefit entitlement or request a Local Authority or NHS assessment for Continuing Healthcare

Download the PDF